The best hiking boots for high arches that we have tried and tested. We walked over 100km in a three-week period and so, we feel we really tested our new hiking boots. Three people, with three different requirements but the common factor for us all was the high arches:
- wide foot
- plantar fasciitis
- high-arched feet
day hikes and long distances
We went to the shop to buy our best hiking shoes with the precious money we had saved. As we looked around and saw a couple of boots that we liked we soon realised that we needed help in choosing.
We stepped over our ignorance and asked someone for assistance. He was very good.
Ask someone when you go shopping, it gave us the edge knowing we bought shoes that were not only ‘pretty’ but shoes that would do the job we were needing.
He asked us a few questions:
- where would we be walking?
- when would we be walking?
- What we wanted out of the shoe?
- Not too intimidating, right?
- WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE ASKED?
Our requirements were:
- shoes that gave us ankle support and excellent arch support
- We needed boots with shock absorption because we knew that we would also be facing rough terrain
- We also wanted a boot with a waterproof membrane because we’ve encountered rain on many occasions
- We needed boots to fit our foot shape, we were looking for a boot with a wide-toe box that would be comfortable too. And not clunky either;)
- and we, the girls, wanted the best women’s boots that we could afford
- I also wanted to have removable insoles because I wanted to add in my own inner sole to accommodate the foot pain as I was nursing with the plantar fascia issues
These are the best hiking boots for high arches – tried & tested
1. Hanwag Tatra Light GTX Shoes Women Asphalt / Ocean
Lightweight and wide
If you have wider feet, hiking in “normal” hiking boots can quickly become an ordeal! The Tatra Light Wide GTX from Hanwag is a good choice when you are looking for the right hiking boot that helps you avoid uncomfortable pressure points.
This version of the popular Hanwag classic is made with an extra wide base. So if you have problems with wide feet in traditional models, you will make a great choice and you will get your money’s worth in this sporty boot!
Thanks to the new, extra-soft light construction, the entire sole structure of the Tatra Light has been made flatter/lower. Lowering the shoe not only saves added material and therefore more weight but lowers the position of the foot in the shoe improving stability and reducing the risk of twisting. This is great as you navigate rocky terrain and rugged terrain.
That’s why Hanwag has made the shoe with a flexible lateral shaft that adapts to the movement of the lower leg, allowing for more joint-friendly movement on uneven ground. The Tatra Light also has a rubber sole, which also contributes to a lighter shoe.
- The upper part is made of Suede, Synthetic & Mesh
- It has a synthetic lining
- With a Gore-Tex membrane
- Great waterproof hiking shoes
- Moisture-wicking and breathable
- Super flexibility and friendly on the joints
- The sole design has very good cushioning and excellent traction
- Low profile for improved stability
- And the boot is resoleable
2. ANTELAO GTX Men’s – Hiking Boots
The Antelao GTX from Meindl is a hiking boot as it should be. It is robust and comfortable at the same time.
A great companion for any trekking tour.
A hiking boot with no ifs and buts
The high-quality materials make this boot an absolute dream. Especially for those who like to hike, sometimes even with a heavier backpack that will carry the heavy load.
Sturdy boot with comfortable fit insole
A special footbed makes the boot fit more comfortably. This means there is more room in the forefoot area. This is a huge advantage on really long hikes. After all, feet like to stretch out a bit when they are exposed to long walks & hikes.
But it is not just your feet that can take the strain, the boot can too. The upper material, which is a mix of mesh and suede, can take a beating. So even the toughest of tours, such as a multi-day trek in mountainous areas, are no problem at all.
And for that extra bit of protection, the boot also has a Gore-Tex membrane. This makes the boot even more breathable while still being waterproof. This is the best thing to have in a boot when you are out on long days.
In addition, the boot has been fitted with a gravel guard at the front. In the toe area, the protective edge is raised even higher to form a toe cap. The boot, and the leather in particular, is also provided with a robust protective cap at the heel.
- The upper part of the boot is made of Suede and mesh
- The lining is synthetic
- Gore-Tex Performance Comfort membrane provides waterproofing & is breathable
- It is also moisture-wicking to keep the foot as dry as possible
- The cushioning wedge provides shock absorption
- The lacing is a simple classic lacing system
- It also has a removable cork and synthetic insole
- The sole has a super grip and so you can feel secure walking on a variety of surfaces
3. Makra Light Lady GTX from Hanwag
With the Makra Light Lady GTX from Hanwag, you’re not only getting high-quality boots, but you’re also getting lightweight boots. The Makra weighs a mere 850 grams.
Are you looking for a lightweight boot that will serve you well on easier tours? Then the quality Makra is for you! This is a really good option when you are trying to keep the extra support needed light too.
thoroughly the very best hiking boots for high arches – tried & tested
It fits from top to toe, as the saying goes. And the lightweight boot certainly lives up to its name. The materials used have not only been designed to be as light as possible but also to ensure that the boot is both comfortable, fits well and is durable.
The upper material used is mainly high-quality suede split leather. The tough leather not only makes rock contact a no problem at all.
Scuff marks ruining the boot are no longer a problem, but a thing of the past! In the heel and toe areas, protective caps have been added.
A more supple synthetic mesh is used on the tongue, ankle, and upper. This gives you even more freedom of movement in the Makra hiking boot.
In addition, the boot has an extra aggressive profile sole to help you get a firm grip on ladder rungs and help you stand on small steps. When the path is slippery and rocky, you do feel more secure knowing that the sole is designed to grip!
And for comfort, there is a cushioning midsole with an extra cushioning pad at the heel.
- The upper part of the boot has Suede Split Leather, it looks good
- It has a synthetic lining
- The Gore-Tex membrane makes it waterproof and with water resistance
- It is breathable
- Rugged construction with TPU heel and toe caps
- Combinable quick and classic lacing system
- Removable synthetic insole
- Cushioning midsole, so good for comfort on the long hikes
- The non-slip Vibram rubber outsole keeps you stable and secure
- The boot is resoleable, this is a super great option
- It is made in Europe
summary of our best hiking boots for high arches tried & tested
After walking so many kilometers we all came back happy. The shoes lived up to their promises. The price of the boots was high, but the quality has been outstanding.
Give them and try and let me know in the comments below if they could be what you are looking for or what would you recommend – and why.
Chat soon, and happy walks because ‘these boots were made for walking;)